Polichnitos

Welcome to Polichnitos

We can provide any service you want!

Below we present a description of the city and its history. For more detailed information on the sights, the beaches of the area and useful telephone numbers & services, please choose from the menu the same option you want.

It is located in the south-western part of the island, 45Km from the capital Mytilene, distributed among pine groves, springs with clear water and beautiful beaches. It took its name from the union of words “many signs” because in the oral tradition, many small villages (traces) mainly along the coast with the fear of Saracen pirates, were compelled to move the current location which is far from the sea, surrounded by hills and is invisible both from the Gulf of Kalloni and the Aegean Sea.

The Municipality of Polichnitos forefront of the rural economy and tourist events of Lesvos as the region is increasingly becoming a valuable tourist attraction (Vatera, Nifida). The monastery of Damandriou is worth visiting in this area where you can admire the longstanding frescoes from the 12th century, and ask to see the remains of palaeontological or Byzantine church in Perivola. The Church of Agios Georgios is in Polichnitos which replaced the pre-existence of the church in 1805.

There are Hot Springs in this area. This is the warmest hot spring in Europe, and the temperature is between 67C and 92C. Its style is turkish. After the release was taken by the Municipality of Polichnitos, the second tank that now serves as a pool for women was built in 1953.

Crossing the Pyrra forest with pine trees and through the region Tsigkou the sources and the clear waters will meet the village Vassilica. It was named so because it housed the Byzantine kings or while they were in the royal estates.

At the municipality of Polichnitos we will meet also Lisvori village. The residents are mainly concerned with their land. Anise is still produced here: herb seeds that are used in the production of ouzo.

An important settlement of the new municipality is Vrisa. It is a village with great intellectual tradition with stone houses standing out from the corners and chipped stones eave them. Just outside the village is the “Paleopirgos” built in the period 1355 – 1375 AD. There are remnants from the days of Gatelouzoi and the tradition was to communicate with a tunnel from Vatera and St. Fokas. It is a tower with a side length of 12.6m and a width of 2m. The four corners of the tower are damaged at the bottom.

Do not forget to visit the Museum – Collection of Natural History of Vrissa. The Natural History Collection of Vrissa was launched in September 1999 and includes vertebrate and invertebrate fossils that lived in before 2 million years, samples of minerals, ores and rocks of Lesvos, zoology and botany section with a unique value not only in Greece but also throughout Europe. The exhibition is housed in the old girls’ school of Vrissa and offers visitors the opportunity to gain an overall impression of the natural history of the area.

Vatera opens to any kind of holidays, family or not because of their geographical position and the organization it is having the most suitable place for water sports, excursions with tourist boats, fishing and even hiking trails in the beautiful small mountains. Vatera is a holiday village in an area that is growing rapidly and many hotels (family forms), apartments, rooms and organized Camping are serving tourists, who visit the area every year. Also you have to see the beach of Nifida, Skala Polichnitos and the beach Glaros located after Skala Polichnitos.

 Demographic and historical data

The Municipality of Polichnitos has 5,288 residents and 172629 acres. Location of the municipality is Polichnitos and it includes 5 Municipal Districts: Polichnitos, Vasilika, Vrissa, Lisvori and Stavros.

   Museum – Collection of Natural History Vrissa

The Natural History Collection of Vrissa was launched in September 1999 and includes vertebrate and invertebrate fossils that lived 2 million years before, samples of minerals, ores and rocks of Lesvos, zoology and botany section with a unique value not only in Greece but also throughout Europe. The exhibition is housed in the old girls’ school of Vrissa and offers visitors the opportunity to gain an overall impression of the natural history of the area.

Among the findings bones from rhinos, camels, antelopes, gazelles, elephants and tortoiseshell are distinguished, reaching a length of 2.5 meters! In particular the major animal fossils found are: a discovered jawbone and other parts of the skeleton of two proboscides – ancestors of today’s elephant-and in various locations fossilized horse bones of various sizes and jaw bones of the carnivorous, Nyctereutes megamastoides-associate with the current raccoon-as well as bones of giraffes, deer, antelope, gazelles, cattle, sheep and turtles (impressive findings are the bones of a giant tortoise 2.5m).

However the most amazing findings is an oversized ape family, genus Paradolipithecus, the newer agents have been found in Europe.

 Theotokos Monastery Koimiseos Damandriou

It is located just 5km from Polichnitos, a farm owned by the Cathedral of Mytilene. Today the old church of the monastery and its auxiliary buildings are saved, which housed for nearly three decades the nursing home of Mitropolis.
Its church is a basilica aisle with remarkable frescoes dating back to the second half of the 16th century, from when (unfortunately in poor condition) part of the narthex, the nave and sanctuary survived.

 Church of St. George

Great in size and majestic, the St. George Church has replaced the pre-existence in 1805. We know the year of the construction from the inscription engraved lintel on the main entrance, which informs us that it was done by Theodore Kalfa from Vatousa, Lesvos.

The key features of the interior of the temple are, that the roofs of the three aisles are not flat, but arched, which answered the lesbian royal of the 19th century. The splint is surrounded by a colonnade, which added the glazing. The top is flat and decorated with small lozenges from the earlier habit of lesbian church decoration. The temple is carved and worthy of attention, the images of this temple is the same with the church age or younger. Also impressive is the three-story belfry, built in 1892.

 Hot Springs Polichnitos

This is the warmest hot spring in Europe, and the temperatures are between 67C and 92C. Polichnitos hot springs used to be Turkish. After the release was taken by the Municipality of Polichnitos, the second tank that now serves as a pool for women was built in 1953.

The water is flowing through many sources, through primary and secondary volcanic porous rocks. It has chlorinated sources of nuclear plants 1,6 – 6 units. It is therapeutic for rheumatism, arthritis, gynecological problems and skin diseases, sciatica, etc.

There are many low buildings, surrounded by eucalyptus trees in the bathrooms with tanks that were refurbished, two Mass bathtubs, two individual tubs and two relaxation rooms, on top of the old one that operated years ago.

 Wetlands of Vatera – Polichnitos

One of the most beautiful areas of Lesvos is Polychnitos at the southeast side of the Gulf of Kalloni, which is a special wetland. Over 100 bird species were recorded in the region, of which some are migratory and others not.

It is a living museum of natural history for biologists and amateur observers. This observation is throughout the year possible, but especially in the spring there is greater attendance of birds.Species such as herons, flamingos, glossy ibis and tourlids are some of the birds that can be seen. But the terrestrial habitats of Polichnitos are important parts of the region.

Reptiles, amphibians and mammals above all find shelter there. Turtles, foxes, lizards, bats, etc. complement the natural landscape. It distinguishes between the beautiful mammal vertebrates of the island and the Asian squirrel “Sciurus Anomalus” (not the joint), who lives only here.

There is special interest in various types of wetland birds and animals in Vatera in the estuaries of the Almyropotamos River and the Vourkos River.

 Skala Polichnitos

Skala Polychnitos is a fishing port which has evolved into a tourist resort with the beaches of Skala and Nifida. It is located 4 kilometers west of Polichnitos at the Gulf of Kalloni. The beach is sandy.

 Vatera

Vatera is located south of Polichnitos. The beach of Vatera, 8 km in length and width from 10 to 30 meters, is beautiful with sand and gravel. Because of its position – on the south side of the island – it is protected from the usual summer north winds. The sea is crystal clear because the waters are renewed in the open sea. You can enjoy water sports, excursions with tourist boats and fishing. Vatera is a holiday village in an area that is growing rapidly and there are many hotels (family forms), apartments, rooms and organized Camping to serve tourists who visit the area every year.

 Nifida

West of the village Polichnitos is Nifida village with the homonym beach. It is an organized beach with sand and enough restaurants.