Limonos Monastery is located in the center of the island, 14 km northwest of Kalloni. The monastery was founded in the Byzantine period and disintegrated in the late 15th century. Bishop of Mythimna Ignatius rebuilt the monastery in 1527 and established a school, which contributed to the revival of monasticism in Lesvos.
The Catholic Church located in the central enclosure is a three-aisled basilica with a raised middle aisle. Built in 1795 in the place of the older Catholic Church and has integrated five chapels. Special interest lays on the iconographic program of the frescoes of the sacristy (cache) in the eastern part of the church. The cemetery of the monastery is outside of the enclosure. In the cemetery of the church, you can see preserved frescoes from the 16th century. The west wing in the central, kept sacred vestments, gold embroidery, fragments of wall paintings, portable icons, sacred vessels, reliquaries and the library.
In recent years, the monastery began to be restored and blowing wind of creation.The current abbot of the monastery, Archimandrite Nicodemus Pavlopoulos thanks to his tireless and very zealous efforts, managed to bring back the monastery to the position it deserves.
Over the last thirty years after a lot of work he restored the old wing of the cells, the Catholic Church and other buildings. He created new buildings in those houses today: the nursing home, where elderly veterans can find hospitality.The capacity hosts at least 200 people in those houses, hundreds of visitors come each year, providing even particularly impressive dining capacity for 500 people.He founded and ran the largest museum that visitors can see in a monastic site in all Greece, where the numerous rooms hold priceless treasures and include:
Ground – Above wing
Shrine of the Holy Relics and images.
Library manuscripts with 516 manuscripts. 59 of those are in membranes. The others are silky or from paper. The manuscripts date from the 9th century until today.
The Museum with an impressive wealth of objects. Among them is a chair of St. Ignatius, chests with diverse, woodcut decorations, pictures with gilded scenes and saints painted in the Byzantine style popular, glass oil lamps with different colors and decorations.
The vestry of Bishop James of Mythimna (+ 1984)T
he Lesbian home
The Folk Museum
Library forms with around 20,000 books by 1498, many of them are very rare. The oldest book is a gospel of the IX century, artistic, written in golden ink. Geological Museum (Museum of Rocks)
In the new wing that is being built, paintings will be exposed in the coming years, coins, etc. All these elements have made in recent years the Monastery Leimonos a major attraction of pilgrims and visitors, both Greeks and foreigners. The tradition is preserved in all its glory, stressing the durability, so that a visit to the monastery is like a view to the religious life, historical and national memories of Lesvos, Greece.
Wetland of Kalloni Gulf
The coastal wetlands of the Kalloni Gulf are one of the most important of the ecologic assets of Lesvos. Coastal areas around the Gulf are a complete ecological system, as this area is a mosaic of salt lakes, small rivers and estuaries torrent, reed, and pine groves. Thus, wetlands serve as a refuge and breeding place for many rare and endangered bird species.
More specific wetlands include the whole coastal area of the Bay and many inland wetlands: Salt lakes of Kalloni and Polichnito, the river Tsiknias, Vouvaris, Mylopotamos,nine Kamares, Potamea, Lagoon of Meson, the marsh of Skala Kalloni, Parakoila, Nifida, etc. The Gulf region is in National & European Inventory “Special Areas of Conservation of Nature” Network NATURA 2000 “.
Monastery of Panagia Myrsiniotissa
Not far from the Monastery Leimonos is the Womens’ Monastery of the Virgin Myrsiniotissa, Byzantine monastery which was rebuilt also by St Ignatius Agalliano, in 1523. Besides of the great history the monastery offers the visitor the tranquility of paradise monastic environment and colorful tranquility of the full flower courtyards.