Agia Paraskevi

Welcome to Agia Paraskevi

We can provide any service you want!

Below we present a description of the city and its history. For more detailed information on the sights, the beaches of the area and useful telephone numbers & services, please choose from the menu the same option you want.

The Municipality of Agia Paraskevi is situated in the mountainous center of the island of Lesvos. It is a beautiful town with spectacular old mansions, 40.3 km northwest of Mytilene, with rural and livestock economy. The name of the village is due to the picturesque and curious church of Agia Paraskevi which is situated in a cave. There are 64 country churches in this area. Entering the town you find the old community olive press, built in 1910 on the initiative of the Church of the Archangel (Church built in 1856). For several years it worked as a museum – Multicenter and now it converted to an “Olive Museum” which hosts the “Museum of the Old Olive Press Machines” and “Folklore Museum (Museum of Industrial Olive).

The area of Agia Paraskevi has been declared by law as a protected area of archaeological interest. In 1928, in the area of “Klopedi” unique remains in Greece of buildings of Aeolian style were discovered (6th century BC) and among them the remains of an ancient temple, pieces of them are exposed in the Archaeological Museum of Mytilene. All the findings show that the area was the most important sanctuary of Lesvos. The “bridge of Kremasti is located in the stream “Tsiknias”, between Agia Paraskevi and Stypsi. It is a large, stone, medieval bridge, with a perfect bow, in perfect harmony with the natural environment, associated with a traditional similar bridge like Arta. In the rural area Chalinados, hours away from Agia Paraskevi, there are ruins of Paleo – Christian Basilica of St George, discovered and restored in 1937. The Temple of Messa is located in the “Koukala” or “Kokala” in the rural region of Mesa. The visitor can tour the archaeological site and reach the small auditorium of the paved paths, see the temple very close and have access to the chapel of Taksiarchis with the wooden ramp.

Three kilometers east of Agia Paraskevi there is “Mylos” located, pass the Mylopotamos river. A river which has water throughout the year and its name declares the usage of water. Indeed the site “Water mills” there remains of more than four water mills. The salt lake in the south of Agia Paraskevi is a significant resource for the region. A folk event of the past centuries has also survived in Agia Paraskevi: ”The feast of the Bull”, in memory of Saint Haralambos, the protector of the farmers. The feast of the Bull is a movable feast and is within 50 days after Easter and lasts three days, accompanied by horse racing and all-night festivals. It is the most important social event of the village. In Agia Paraskevi and Napi (3Km north) you can buy local pure meat, dairy products (cheese, gruyere, Ladotyri (local cheese), sweet and salty “Mizithra” cheese), poultry grazing in the fields and eggs, local fruit and vegetables and high quality honey. Rich is the production of low-acid olive oil and ouzo made from a local distillery.

 Demographic and historical data

The Municipality of Agia Paraskevi has a population of 2,628 residents and 11.7697 acres of land. The location of the municipality is Agia Paraskevi and includes 2 Mu

 The Museum of the Olive Press’s

The Museum of Industrial Olive is housed in a restored building from 1910 in Agia Paraskevi and is a typical example of industrial architecture. The Olive press which was created by the Cultural Foundation of the Piraeus Group which is also responsible for the operation of it is part of all significant industrial buildings on the island.

Industries first building (olive press – flour mill), the olive press worked as a Community company until 1967. In 1984, with the support of the Prefecture of Lesvos, it was restored and converted into a cultural center. Specifically the main building is converted for a multipurpose hall, capacity holds 400 people, while the olive storage rooms are converted into a Folklore Museum.

The museum shows the development of machinery, with emphasis on changes brought by the introduction of engineering to oil production. In the main building, the emphasis is on three key stages of the production of oil, the crushing of the fruit, pressing the olive paste to separate oil from water and refer to the additional function of flour mill. In the large storehouses the history of the Community olive press of Agia Paraskevi is being told, the mechanization of the oil industry on Lesvos in the broader socio-economic context and in the large storehouses oil production work is represented.

 The Temple of Messa

The Temple of Messa is located in the position “Koukala” or “Kokala” in the region of Messa into the rural region of Agia Paraskevi. In ancient times, it was situated near the northern border of the territory of the ancient city Pyrra and in the middle (center) of Lesvos, where the area got its name “Messa”. The visitor can tour the archaeological site and reach the small auditorium of the paved paths, and may see near the temple and have access to the chapel of Taksiarchis with the wooden ramp.

When the Christianism was established, a Basilica was founded at the east part of the Ancient Temple. During the Byzantine Era the chapel dedicated to Taxiarhes succeeded the Basilica. The graves that we can see over there, belonged to the inhabitants of a small medieval village situated about 300 meters west of the Ancient Temple. In a small distance from the Temple of Messa, there are ruins of the ancient town of Pyrra.

 Watermills of Mylopotamos

Three kilometers east of Agia Paraskevi on Location “Miloi’ passed the Mylopotamos river. A river which has water throughout the year and his name declares the usage of water. Indeed in “Miloi”, more than four water mills remain.

A beautiful journey that enchants the visitor. The water mills, pre-industrial buildings in Lesvos, played their role from ancient times to the early 20th century, when it went into operation with modern steam and later diesel engines flour mills. The one, that is in the best shape than all the others of the area, is the mill of Chatzigianni.

 The Temple of Klopedi

The Temple of Klopedi was first built in the 8th century BC. It took the final shape in the mid-6th century BC, when a gallery that consisted of 46 columns surrounded it. The Aeolian columns’ capitals that we find in the “Trouloti” Church of Taxiarhes – Napi, came from the Temple of Klopedi. Their particular characteristics are the two big spirals that revolve around both the right and left side of a big vegetable ornament (blossom).

 The Paleo-Christian Church of Chalinado

The Paleo Christian Church of Xalinado was built around 550 to 600 A.D. Big part of it was destroyed because of an earthquake. The Temple consists of three aisles and a temple vestibule. The main temple is rectangular and bears an arch to the east side. The aisles are separated by two rows of columns decorated with relief capitals.

 Bridge Kremasti

The integral medieval arch “Bridge of Kremasti” is well maintained. It is the bridge of Tsiknia, a violent river of the area. It was built by the Gatelouzi (1355-1432) for military reasons as well as for commercial needs. The material for its construction came from the Ancient Temple Klopedi and the Church of St Theraponta that is situated close to the Ancient Temple.

There is no beach in Agia Paraskevi.